Located on the River Forth, Stirling is the administrative centre for the Stirling council area, and is traditionally the county town of Stirlingshire.
Proverbially it is the strategically important "Gateway to the Highlands".
Modern Stirling is a centre for local government, higher education, tourism, retail, and industry.
The 2011 census recorded the population of the city as 45,750; the wider Stirling council area has a population of about 91,000.
The poet King was educated by George Buchanan and grew up in Stirling.
He was later also crowned King of England and Ireland on 25 July 1603, bringing closer the countries of the United Kingdom.
The plans give an interesting insight into the lives of the children who were placed there.
Stirling also has a medieval parish church, the Church of the Holy Rude, where, on 29 July 1567, the infant James VI was anointed King of Scots by the Bishop of Orkney with the service concluding after a sermon by John Knox.
In the sixteenth century, Cambusbarron came under the control of successive Earls of Kellie, before being sold to William Leslie, later the tenth Baron of Balquhain, in 1640. Cambusbarron expanded significantly during the nineteenth century.
The opening of the wool-spinning Hayford Mill, also called Cambusbarron Mill or Hayford and Parkvale Mill, in 1834 provided a significant source of employment in the village; by 1871, a series of expansions had seen the mill grow to employ over 1200 people.
The faces were taken from European or Japanese faces.
They found that men rated women with more feminine features more highly for a fling.